BBB intermittently rebooting.
Erik de Castro Lopo
2015-07-18 00:00:55 UTC
HI all,

I have BBB that is rebooting about once a day for no good reason.

Its powered from an external plug pack (usb host adapator not even
connected), its running the 4.1.1-bone9 kernel from the
BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-8.1-console-armhf-2015-07-05-2gb.img
image.

There are no clues in /var/log/messages or syslog or anywhere
else.

Anyone with any suggestions on how to debug this?

Cheers,
Erik
--
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+***@mega-nerd.com>
Robert Nelson
2015-07-18 00:19:41 UTC
On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 7:00 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo
Post by Erik de Castro Lopo
HI all,
I have BBB that is rebooting about once a day for no good reason.
Its powered from an external plug pack (usb host adapator not even
connected), its running the 4.1.1-bone9 kernel from the
BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-8.1-console-armhf-2015-07-05-2gb.img
image.
There are no clues in /var/log/messages or syslog or anywhere
else.
Anyone with any suggestions on how to debug this?
Please upgrade to :

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.1.2-ti-r4
sudo reboot

Still tracking the random reset down..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/
Max

Erik de Castro Lopo
2015-07-18 09:36:00 UTC
Post by Max
Can you ground the Vusb line? The same problem was with 3.2
Are you referring to this?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/beagleboard/xPxzYyNsA78/XllFv6ZHUWIJ

Cheers,
Erik
--
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+***@mega-nerd.com>
Maxim Podbereznyy
2015-07-18 19:20:45 UTC
Probably yes. Anyway my boards had Vbus grounded and customers never
complained
18 Июл 2015 г. 12:36 пПльзПватель "Erik de Castro Lopo" <
Erik de Castro Lopo
2015-07-18 22:56:27 UTC
Post by Maxim Podbereznyy
Probably yes. Anyway my boards had Vbus grounded and customers never
complained
How can I test if Vbus is grounded on my board? If its not, is that a
modification I can do? Is it documented somewhere? I've googled but not
been able to find anything.

Cheers,
Erik
--
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+***@mega-nerd.com>
Erik de Castro Lopo
2015-07-18 09:28:15 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-4.1.2-ti-r4
sudo reboot
Still tracking the random reset down.
New kernel installed and running. Will report back in a day or two.

Cheers,
Erik
--
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+***@mega-nerd.com>
Erik de Castro Lopo
2015-07-18 22:57:23 UTC
Post by Erik de Castro Lopo
New kernel installed and running. Will report back in a day or two.
With kernel linux-image-4.1.2-ti-r4 it rebooted after about 10 hours
of uptime.

Erik
--
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+***@mega-nerd.com>
Maxim Podbereznyy
2015-07-19 04:32:45 UTC
It is NOT grounded by default otherwise you would not be able to power the
board from USB. I don't know how you can ground the Vbus line. I would take
a soldering station (I have two) and put a simple short from the Vbus pin
at a USB connector to the ground.

OR you can power the board from USB and ensure that no random reboots
occur. The problem appear when Vbus line is floating
19 Июл 2015 г. 1:57 пПльзПватель "Erik de Castro Lopo" <
Erik de Castro Lopo
2015-07-19 06:55:31 UTC
Post by Maxim Podbereznyy
OR you can power the board from USB and ensure that no random reboots
occur. The problem appear when Vbus line is floating
Ah, thank you. That's what I needed to know. Going to look into supplying
power over USB (only).

Thanks,
Erik
--
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+***@mega-nerd.com>
Graham
2015-07-19 14:55:24 UTC
Eric:
You never said what you were trying to do with the BBB, and why you need
Debian 8.1/kernel 4.x.x.
As you have seen, it is temporarily broken, but is being worked on. This is
a "test" release, and not recommended for active use, unless you like
adventures, like you are having.

If you need the capemanager, consider Debian 7.8/kernel 3.8

If you don't need the capemanager, but need some other benefit of Debian 8,
then use Debian 8.x and kernel 3.14.

Both of these options are solid, do not reboot by themselves, and don't
care whether it is powered from the 5V barrel connector or USB.
--- Graham

==
William Hermans
2015-07-19 15:11:19 UTC
Graham, thats where you're wrong. I've been using all those testing kernels
EXACT SAME KERNELS you've been having troubles with. Except, I'm not having
troubles with them. Why ? Becasue I'm powering via USB.

So if you REALLY want to prove the problem this won't work for *you* try
powering via USB . . .
Graham Haddock
2015-07-19 16:00:08 UTC
My advice to Erik is that, if he has something important to do, to go back
to an official release. He should use a "Beta" release only if he can
afford the additional problems it might bring, and in this case there are
some. In my application for the BBB, I do not use or want to use the USB
connector. The previous kernels worked fine with the +5V power. Although
the +5V versus USB power behavior could be an important clue to what the
problem is.

==

When you say "powered by USB" are you also running the USB g_multi
interface to a PC and engaging the driver in the PC?

Or, are you just powering it via the USB connector and not using/engaging
the USB subsystem in the BBB?

I think there are (at least) two variables here.

I will go power my BBB via the USB connector, which will power the Vusb
line, but without any USB activity on the USB connector and see what
happens.

I agree that systemd is not the likely problem, since kernel 3.14 uses
systemd, and works fine, USB or +5V connector.

My personal observation is that the less the BBB is doing, the more likely
the self-reboot is to happen.
If I turn off the four blinking blue LEDs, with the BBB not doing anything
else, the reboots seem to happen more often.
So, if you are powering the USB connector from a computer, it may be the
USB activity, not the power source that is changing the behavior.

--- Graham

==
William Hermans
2015-07-19 16:14:16 UTC
*Or, are you just powering it via the USB connector and not using/engaging
the USB subsystem in the BBB?*
Not sure if g_multi or g_ether is setup on this image. In either case, I'm
only using ethernet. I'll look though. *looks*

*Looks like the answer is "no".*
*Module Size Used by*
*snd_soc_evm 5854 0*
*omap_rng 5140 0*
*rng_core 8755 1 omap_rng*
*snd_soc_davinci_mcasp 18528 2*
*snd_soc_edma 1166 1 snd_soc_davinci_mcasp*
*snd_soc_hdmi_codec 2514 1*
*uio_pdrv_genirq 3657 0*
*uio 9930 1 uio_pdrv_genirq*
Anyway, I can understand that you may not want to use USB to power the
device. However as a test to see if vbus / vusb is floating . . . this can
not really hurt to power via USB for a little while during tests.

Once it is established that this problem is related or not, then you and
others can act accordingly. Grounding the necessary lines, or not.

This really makes sense to me though, at least from my own perspective.
Since I'm not having the problems you all are having with the same kernels.
Passed that, if it does not pan out. Well, a little wasted time, but well
worth the effort considering this problem seems to plague several people.
Easy enough to test anyway . . .
Graham Haddock
2015-07-19 16:45:40 UTC
Yes, I will go run the USB-Power test.

I guess my question is... are you are powering your BBB from the USB port
on a computer, or, are you powering your BBB via the USB port from
something like a power supply or cellphone charger, which does not have a
computer and USB driver in it.

If you are powering the BBB from a computer, and that computer has the BBB
driver on it, that allows you to see the BBB's internal web site, etc,
then, even though you are not using it, when you plug it in, the driver
comes up and starts polling the BBB at 1000 times per second, to see what
is going on. A lot is happening at the lower levels of USB that take time
to service on the BBB.

--- Graham

==
evilwulfie
2015-07-19 17:40:40 UTC
I Powered one from a USB power supply only with no random reboots
Post by Graham Haddock
[...]
. . .
On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 9:00 AM, Graham Haddock
[...]
On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 10:11 AM, William Hermans
Graham, thats where you're wrong. I've been using all
those testing kernels EXACT SAME KERNELS you've been
having troubles with. Except, I'm not having troubles with
them. Why ? Becasue I'm powering via USB.
So if you REALLY want to prove the problem this won't work
for *you* try powering via USB . . .
On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 7:55 AM, Graham
William Hermans
2015-07-19 18:10:40 UTC
So I should also add that I'm not an electronics engineer by any stretch of
the imagination. However, I do know various things about power, and digital
electronics. Most of which I picked up from Wulfman, who has been an EE for
35+ years . . .

Digital electronics 101, a floating trace / line is a "bad" trace / line.
So my reasoning on a trace that goes directly to a PMIC, on a trace that
can control the PMIC to power and maybe reset the board . . . all it takes
is a power fluctuation to reset the board . . . Everything "screams" this
to me - However.

Wulfman has looked through the datasheet for the PMIC, and even the
schematics for the eval board of this PMIC( from TI ), and can not see why
/ how this would / could happen.

Anyway, I have no idea how this PMIC is connected to the system through
software. I *think* I remember reading something about it being connected
through I2C1 . . . but that is a vague memory at best. I do remember that
uboot can control the PMIC in the same way that the linux kernel does
though. For whatever that is worth . . .
William Hermans
2015-07-19 17:49:48 UTC
Well, the driver module is not loaded - period. Otherwise with lsmod, it'd
show up as g_multi, g_ether, g_serial, or very unlikely as g_mass_storage.
To put your mind at ease though, this is a stock instal of wheezy 7.8
console image. Using APT to install the linux-image 4.1.x kernel. The
console images as I recall from Robert saying it on these forums multiple
times. Do not have the gadget drivers enabled by default. The only reason
why I did not know for sure, was that I usually, on my own disable systemd
through uEnv.txt, and add g_ether to /etc/modules. Which loads the ethernet
gadget driver at system bring up. But I did not in this case . . .

So To answer more succinctly. I have always powered my boards from USB
connected to a laptop - always. Wulfman, my buddy has powered one or more
of the 3 boards by various means. Barrel jack, USB to laptop, and USB to
walwart adapter. As far as I am aware, he has had no problems related to
this issue. But he usually sticks to tried an true images. Where as I'm
more of the experimenter in this case.
john dough

Maxim Podbereznyy
2015-07-20 07:41:12 UTC
As far as I remember how the Vbus issue was described in details, hope I'm
not mistaken:
Vbus connects to both CPU and PMIC. CPU has a charge-pump circuit to detect
OTG devices (inject some power and track USB signals for incoming events)
and it injects 5V periodically into Vbus line. Sometimes PMIC detects this
5V on the Vbus input as a good voltage and turns inner power switch to Vbus
where in fact no 5V with sufficient current. Next power failure and
immediate reboot occur
Sent from my Windows Phone
------------------------------
Graham Haddock
2015-07-20 16:00:02 UTC
William/Wulfman: So far, running on USB Power module (no USB
communications) the BBB is staying up. It has been 18 hours or so now.
Running the same software that rebooted twice in 24 hours on +5V barrel
connector input. I have seen the 'bad' configuration run as long as 36
hours between reboots, so the test needs to continue for at least two days.

Thanks to Maxim for the explanation. If that is the problem, it looks like
the problem existed in 2013, a software patch was applied, and the software
patch was lost between kernel 3 and kernel 4.

--- Graham

==
Post by Maxim Podbereznyy
As far as I remember how the Vbus issue was described in details, hope I'm
Vbus connects to both CPU and PMIC. CPU has a charge-pump circuit to
detect OTG devices (inject some power and track USB signals for incoming
events) and it injects 5V periodically into Vbus line. Sometimes PMIC
detects this 5V on the Vbus input as a good voltage and turns inner power
switch to Vbus where in fact no 5V with sufficient current. Next power
failure and immediate reboot occur
Sent from my Windows Phone
------------------------------
evilwulfie
2015-07-20 16:10:33 UTC
usb0_vbus on the processor is an analog input to a comparator.
page 80 of the processor ref manual says - USB0_VBUS (7) Supply voltage
for USB VBUS comparator input
i do not see it saying supplies any voltage to the circuit anywhere in
the PDF.
I can see the software causing the issue if there is some kind of noise
in the line.
maybe instead of a hard ground which would cause headaches if one was to
plug a usb power connector to the BBB
a pulldown of 10k on the line to keep it low.
One would need to test this idea out.

Gerald might have a comment ?
William Hermans
2015-07-20 16:34:38 UTC
*William/Wulfman: So far, running on USB Power module (no USB
communications) the BBB is staying up. It has been 18 hours or so now.
Running the same software that rebooted twice in 24 hours on +5V barrel
connector input. I have seen the 'bad' configuration run as long as 36
hours between reboots, so the test needs to continue for at least two days.*
*Thanks to Maxim for the explanation. If that is the problem, it looks
like the problem existed in 2013, a software patch was applied, and the
software patch was lost between kernel 3 and kernel 4.*
*--- Graham*
Glad to hear that so far everything seems good Graham. So far. However I
have a sneaking suspicion it will continue to run until you decide to shut
it off. Not 100% sure though, hence the need for someone like you to test.
In hopes of narrowing down this problem.
[...]
Sent from my Windows Phone
------------------------------
Graham Haddock
2015-07-20 16:40:49 UTC
William:
OK. I plan to let it run for at least two days, perhaps three.
--- Graham
Post by William Hermans
[...]
Sent from my Windows Phone
------------------------------
William Hermans
2015-07-21 02:47:54 UTC
For what it is worth . . .

***@beaglebone:~$ uname -a
Linux beaglebone 4.1.2-ti-r3 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jul 14 06:54:47 UTC 2015
armv7l GNU/Linux
***@beaglebone:~$ cat /etc/dogtag
BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-03-01
***@beaglebone:~$ uptime
19:46:56 up 6 days, 5:48, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

Powered via USB, and running ever since I installed that kernel
Post by William Hermans
[...]
Sent from my Windows Phone
------------------------------
'dl4mea' via BeagleBoard
2015-07-21 05:50:05 UTC
Since we now have two threads about the same problem...
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beagleboard/lF1X1XINjDo

My 13 BB-Black under test are powered from external +5V with these power
supplies:
http://www.deutronic.com/products/power-supplies/ac-adapter/esc15g-15-watt.html
Average reboot number of each BB-B was each about 3 per day.

After reading this thread, I simply connected a USB cable from the front
side Type-A to the back side Mini-USB and since then the number of reboots
drastically decreased, within the last 12h I saw in total just two.
Other systems under my control but not located in my lab are showing the
same improvement.

--- GÃŒnter (dl4mea)
Maxim Podbereznyy
2015-07-21 07:45:25 UTC
I could in my archive messages:

I can confirm that the pulsing detected by PMIC on USB_DC signal is the
probing from USB-OTG.

After I disabled the USB-OTG in the kernel, the system has never rebooted.
Btw I also re-loaded Angstrom image (3.8 kernel) and Andrew's Android image
(with 3.8 kernel). I did not observe USB-OTG probing pulses on the VBus. I
believe in the 3.8 kernel, the USB-OTG has not been implemented/enabled.
That might be reason why it seems that 3.8 kernel doesn't have the random
reboot behavior.

In case anyone wants to test it out, here is the change in the source code
(NOTE: ignore the line and column numbers; just search for the struct
"static struct omap_musb_board_data musb_board_data" ):

--- a/arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-am335xevm.c

+++ b/arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-am335xevm.c

@@ -3956,7 +4125,8 @@ static struct omap_musb_board_data musb_board_data = {

* mode[4:7] = USB1PORT's mode

* AM335X beta EVM has USB0 in OTG mode and USB1 in host mode.

*/

- .mode = (MUSB_HOST << 4) | MUSB_OTG,

+// .mode = (MUSB_HOST << 4) | MUSB_OTG,

+ .mode = (MUSB_HOST << 4) | MUSB_PERIPHERAL,

.power = 500,

.instances = 1,

};

Robert Nelson
2015-07-21 12:53:32 UTC
Thanks Maxim,
Post by Maxim Podbereznyy
I can confirm that the pulsing detected by PMIC on USB_DC signal is the
probing from USB-OTG.
After I disabled the USB-OTG in the kernel, the system has never rebooted.
Btw I also re-loaded Angstrom image (3.8 kernel) and Andrew's Android image
(with 3.8 kernel). I did not observe USB-OTG probing pulses on the VBus. I
believe in the 3.8 kernel, the USB-OTG has not been implemented/enabled.
That might be reason why it seems that 3.8 kernel doesn't have the random
reboot behavior.
In case anyone wants to test it out, here is the change in the source code
(NOTE: ignore the line and column numbers; just search for the struct
This shouldn't be an issue, as we define what they are..

&usb0 {
status = "okay";
dr_mode = "peripheral";
};

&usb1 {
status = "okay";
dr_mode = "host";
};

but just in-case we have a regression somewhere else, i'll push out a
test with otg disabled. (it's enabled in 3.14.x and we need it for the
x15)

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/
Robert Nelson
2015-07-21 13:30:56 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Thanks Maxim,
Post by Maxim Podbereznyy
[...]
diff --git a/patches/defconfig b/patches/defconfig
index 79ae693..7731b6a 100644
--- a/patches/defconfig
+++ b/patches/defconfig
@@ -4070,7 +4070,7 @@ CONFIG_USB_ANNOUNCE_NEW_DEVICES=y
#
CONFIG_USB_DEFAULT_PERSIST=y
CONFIG_USB_DYNAMIC_MINORS=y
-CONFIG_USB_OTG=y
+# CONFIG_USB_OTG is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OTG_WHITELIST is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OTG_BLACKLIST_HUB is not set
# CONFIG_USB_OTG_FSM is not set

wget http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/farm/testing/linux-image-4.1.2-ti-r4.6_1cross_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-4.1.2-ti-r4.6_1cross_armhf.deb
sudo reboot

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/
'dl4mea' via BeagleBoard
2015-07-22 16:50:39 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
wget
http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/farm/testing/linux-image-4.1.2-ti-r4.6_1cross_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-4.1.2-ti-r4.6_1cross_armhf.deb
sudo reboot
It improves the situation, but there are still some reboots.
After 12h operation, 5 of my 14 BBB are still up since reboot, the others
have seen reboots, one outstanding has had 4 oft them.
Graham
2015-07-21 13:35:02 UTC
Robert:

I can also confirm the behavior of rebooting on +5V Barrel power, and no
reboots when on USB power.
Same hardware, same OS/Software, running on +5V barrel input reboots about
three times per day,
randomly. Same-same on USB power (iPhone 1A charger, no USB activity) has
been running without
reboot for almost two days, now.

I can also confirm that this reboot problem does NOT exist in 3.14. I have
Debian 8.1/kernel 3.14
that have been running for multiple weeks on +5V barrel power, without
reboot.

There have been some significant recent changes to USB power that allow
tablets to both push
power out of a connector to power thumbdrives, etc, as well as take power
in the SAME connector
for battery charging. It is a kludge of a system if I have ever seen one.
You might want to see if
any of this new USB power code has affected things.

--- Graham

BBB1 -- Debian Image 2015-07-12
uname -a
Linux BBB1 4.1.2-ti-r4 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jul 16 20:48:37 UTC 2015 armv7l
GNU/Linux

Power supply from Adafruit 2A on +5V barrel connector.

Jul 18 15:42:10 Initial Boot
Jul 18 15:50:47 My Reboot
Jul 18 16:07:08 My Reboot after kernel update

Jul 18 23:10:07 Autonomous Reboot
Jul 19 05:27:54 Autonomous Reboot

Jul 19 16:50:08 Test terminated for other power source testing

Power supply is Apple iPhone 5W (1A) on USB port

Jul 19 17:05:48 My Reboot after power supply change

:~# uptime
(JUL 21) 13:20:13 up 1 day, 20:15, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

Post by Robert Nelson
Thanks Maxim,
Maxim Podbereznyy
2015-07-21 14:06:19 UTC
By the way I with my collegues spent some time on investigating this issue
and found in the tps65217 datasheet that all three power source Vac, Vusb
and Vbat should not be enabled at the same time. Only two of them should.
Because of the reason that BBB is a universal enthusiast's board all three
power sources are left floating, which contradicts with tps65217
architecture. We figured out that if the most of users use only a barrel
connector or USB then Vbat input should be grounded. I don't know if this
solution fixes the random reboot issue but at least it complies with the
TPS65217 architecture. Probably anybody should try to ground the Vbat input
and see how the board behaves.
Post by Graham
[...]
Post by Robert Nelson
Thanks Maxim,
Dennis Cote
2015-07-21 22:25:48 UTC

Post by Maxim Podbereznyy
and found in the tps65217 datasheet that all three power source Vac, Vusb
and Vbat should not be enabled at the same time. Only two of them should.
Because of the reason that BBB is a universal enthusiast's board all three
power sources are left floating, which contradicts with tps65217
architecture. We figured out that if the most of users use only a barrel
connector or USB then Vbat input should be grounded. I don't know if this
solution fixes the random reboot issue but at least it complies with the
TPS65217 architecture. Probably anybody should try to ground the Vbat input
and see how the board behaves.
I was reviewing the TPS65217 datasheet and I think this may be the area of
concern (from section 9.3.9.1):

The linear charger periodically applies a 10-mA current source to the BAT
Post by Maxim Podbereznyy
pin to check for the presence of a battery. This will cause the BAT
terminal to float up to > 3 V which may interfere with AC removal detection
and the ability to switch from AC to USB input. For this reason, it is not
recommended to use both AC and USB inputs when the battery is absent.
Since the battery is absent for most BBB users, TI recommends using AC or
USB power, but not both.

Furthermore, the TPS65217 has internal sinks on the AC and USB inputs, so
it should not be necessary to short either input to ground when it is not
used as long as the input sinks have not been forced off by the software.

9.3.9.4 AC and USB Input Discharge
Post by Maxim Podbereznyy
AC and USB inputs have 90-µA internal current sinks which are used to
discharge the input pins to avoid false detection of an input source. The
AC sink is enabled when USB is a valid supply and VAC is below the
detection threshold. Likewise, the USB sink is enabled when AC is a valid
supply and VUSB is below the detection limit. Both current sinks can be
forced OFF by setting the [ACSINK, USBSINK] bits to 11b. Both bits are
located in register 0x01 (PPATH).
NOTE [ACSINK, USBSINK] = 01b and 10b combinations are not recommended as
these may lead to unexpected enabling and disabling of the current sinks. 9
Perhaps someone can check if these are being set to something other than
00b.

Dennis Cote
Maxim Podbereznyy
'dl4mea' via BeagleBoard
2015-07-22 07:55:55 UTC
Post by Maxim Podbereznyy
You can disable in software Vac or Vusb, but not the battery source, that
is why so much trouble
What about adding a 1k resistor from the VBat+ input to ground, just for
safety?
Dennis Cote
2015-07-22 15:07:51 UTC
Post by 'dl4mea' via BeagleBoard
What about adding a 1k resistor from the VBat+ input to ground, just for
safety?
That should not be necessary. The battery detection logic is complicated,
but seems quite robust. Again from the datasheet:

9.3.13 Battery Detection and Recharge
Post by 'dl4mea' via BeagleBoard
Whenever the battery voltage falls below VRCH, IBAT(DET) is pulled from
the battery for a duration tDET to determine if the battery has been
removed. If the voltage on the BAT pin remains above VLOWV, it indicates
that the battery is still connected. If the charger is enabled (CH_EN = 1),
a new battery charging cycle begins.
If the BAT pin voltage falls below VLOWV in the battery detection test, it
indicates that the battery has been removed. The device then checks for
battery insertion: it turns on the charging path and sources IPRECHG out of
the BAT pin for duration tDET. If the voltage does not rise above VRCH, it
indicates that a battery has been inserted, and a new charge cycle can
begin. If, however, the voltage does rise above VRCH, it is possible that a
fully charged battery has been inserted. To check for this, IBAT(DET) is
pulled from the battery for tDET and if the voltage falls below VLOWV, no
battery is present. The battery detection cycle continues until the device
detects a battery or the charger is disabled.
When the battery is removed from the system the charger will also flag a
BATTEMP error indicating that the TS input is not connected to a thermistor.
The one problem I see with the BBB design is that the test currents are
applied to the BAT terminals and the battery voltage is measured on the
BAT_SENSE terminal. Normally these would be connected at the battery, but
they are not connected at all on the BBB. Perhaps connecting TP5 and TP6
with a jumper wire will help.

Dennis Cote