debian: test images (2014-01-10)
Robert Nelson
2014-01-10 22:11:09 UTC
It's Friday and everyone is probally kicking back and enjoying a cold
beverage... Well enough of that crap, time to start actually testing
something... ;)

First, for tracking please report all bugs to:
http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases

So go forward and test the first "beta" release. There are 3 files on
the web server, depending on what you want to do. Using the same
standard procedure found here:
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:Updating_The_Software

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/

An eMMC "flasher" which can be installed to any 2GB or greater microSD
card. [BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-2gb.img.xz]

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-2gb.img.xz
5cb3f88ae14cbcb94604786484f96309
BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-2gb.img.xz

It takes about 10-15 Minutes to dd microSD (2GB), 15 minutes to flash
eMMC (look for full 4 LED's)

4GB standalone image that can be flashed to any 4GB or greater.
[bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz]

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
096915309ec4a8fe41b1e8076a0c436b bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz

It takes about 20-30 Minutes to dd microSD (4GB)

Finally one of my classic "setup_sdcard.sh".
[debian-7.3-console-armhf-2014-01-10.tar.xz]

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/debian-7.3-console-armhf-2014-01-10.tar.xz
526adb40799a8e060df020ed1cd47c12 debian-7.3-console-armhf-2014-01-10.tar.xz

Note for users who use my classic "setup_sdcard.sh" script, here is
the magic options to get the beaglebone project files + systemd.

sudo ./setup_sdcard.sh --mmc /dev/sdX --uboot bone
--beagleboard.org-production --enable-systemd

To "rebuild"
git clone git://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder.git
cd image-builder
git checkout bb.org-v2014.01.10 -b tmp
./beagleboard.org_image.sh

Thoughts/rants/list/etc?

Go Test!
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Robert Nelson
2014-01-10 22:13:17 UTC
Laughs, gmail broke every link..

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-2gb.img.xz

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/debian-7.3-console-armhf-2014-01-10.tar.xz

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
David Lambert
2014-01-10 23:09:53 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
4GB standalone image that can be flashed to any 4GB or greater.
[bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz]
http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
096915309ec4a8fe41b1e8076a0c436b bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
It takes about 20-30 Minutes to dd microSD (4GB)
OK It only took my system a tad over 8 minutes to a Transcend 8G SD:
time xzcat
/home/dlambert/downloads/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz | dd
bs=10M of=/dev/sdc
0+345858 records in
0+345858 records out
3932160000 bytes (3.9 GB) copied, 493.82 s, 8.0 MB/s

real 8m13.823s
user 0m38.910s
sys 0m6.756s

First impressions great, came right up systemd, avahi, etc. I will keep
on testing over the weekend.

BTW is the kernel the same as the default in
git://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev.git?

Any hints yet on how to handle pinmux GPIO etc. now that capemgr is not
yet there?

Regards,

Dave.
Robert Nelson
2014-01-10 23:36:47 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
4GB standalone image that can be flashed to any 4GB or greater.
[bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz]
http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
096915309ec4a8fe41b1e8076a0c436b bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
It takes about 20-30 Minutes to dd microSD (4GB)
Should i also push out a 8GB image? it's all zero's and it just
compresses very well..
time xzcat /home/dlambert/downloads/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz |
dd bs=10M of=/dev/sdc
0+345858 records in
0+345858 records out
3932160000 bytes (3.9 GB) copied, 493.82 s, 8.0 MB/s
real 8m13.823s
user 0m38.910s
sys 0m6.756s
First impressions great, came right up systemd, avahi, etc. I will keep on
testing over the weekend.
BTW is the kernel the same as the default in
git://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev.git?
specifially: 3.8.13-bone35
Any hints yet on how to handle pinmux GPIO etc. now that capemgr is not yet
there?
By default it's still 3.8 so that all books/guides/etc written for
Angstrom work.. Down the road it'll be v3.13..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
David Lambert
2014-01-10 23:52:35 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Should i also push out a 8GB image? it's all zero's and it just
compresses very well..
I know but I think most of the time is writing to the SD, so it would be
nice if there was a good way to resize the root using parted or something?
Post by Robert Nelson
specifially: 3.8.13-bone35
Any hints yet on how to handle pinmux GPIO etc. now that capemgr is not yet
there?
By default it's still 3.8 so that all books/guides/etc written for
Angstrom work.. Down the road it'll be v3.13..
Yes, I know how to do that on 3.8, but I'm lost with 3.13. Looks like I
will have to roll my own pinmux for now to get the USB improvements ;)
Regards,
David Lambert
2014-01-11 00:14:21 UTC
Post by David Lambert
Post by Robert Nelson
Should i also push out a 8GB image? it's all zero's and it just
compresses very well..
I know but I think most of the time is writing to the SD, so it would
be nice if there was a good way to resize the root using parted or
something?
I just used parted - it worked fine:
***@beaglebone:~# df
rootfs 7537984 1220976 5930864 18% /
udev 10240 0 10240 0% /dev
tmpfs 101464 548 100916 1% /run
/dev/mmcblk0p2 7537984 1220976 5930864 18% /
tmpfs 253652 0 253652 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 253652 0 253652 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 102400 0 102400 0% /run/user
tmpfs 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
/dev/mmcblk0p1 98094 70260 27834 72% /boot/uboot
Post by David Lambert
specifially: 3.8.13-bone35
Eric Fort
2014-01-23 09:22:54 UTC
yes,

having an 8G option would be really nice. 4G to an 8G card wastes
half the card and makes it a pain to ever recover the other 4G.
Finally found a utility that restores full capacity but 8G would be
quite nice if it's not much more trouble to produce.

Eric
Robert Nelson
2014-01-23 15:12:11 UTC
Post by Eric Fort
yes,
having an 8G option would be really nice. 4G to an 8G card wastes
half the card and makes it a pain to ever recover the other 4G.
Finally found a utility that restores full capacity but 8G would be
quite nice if it's not much more trouble to produce.
Yeah i can easily add a 8G option, once compressed it's the same size
as the 4G on the server.

It's only painful for 8G users, as dd has to dump all the zero's..

But i'd really like someone to write a script to automate the resize
on bootup from the bbb.. ;) We have the initrd.img, so it could be
done before the root partition is first loaded..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Charles Steinkuehler
2014-01-23 14:58:10 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
But i'd really like someone to write a script to automate the resize
on bootup from the bbb.. ;) We have the initrd.img, so it could be
done before the root partition is first loaded..
I'm not sure you'd want to put everything required to resize the root
partition into the initrd.

What about something similar to /forcefsck where an init script runs and
checks for the presence of /resizerootfs or somesuch and then makes the
various required checks (that there is actually space available, the
filesystem is clean, the filesystem is a type that can be extende3d, etc).

Can any simplifying assumptions be made about things like the root
device, partition layout, etc?

It would be nice if you could just have a 2G raw image (saves time
writing) and expand the filesystem on the first boot. How long does it
take to expand an ext4 filesystem, anyway? I use jfs on my x86 boxes
because you can expand the fs live while it's mounted (very handy for
virtual machines and systems with SAN back-ends, where I'm always
growing the storage!). Last I checked, resizing ext3 was a royal PITA
by comparison...I hope this is improved with ext4.
--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles-***@public.gmane.org
Robert Nelson
2014-01-23 15:40:27 UTC
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM, Charles Steinkuehler
Post by Charles Steinkuehler
Post by Robert Nelson
But i'd really like someone to write a script to automate the resize
on bootup from the bbb.. ;) We have the initrd.img, so it could be
done before the root partition is first loaded..
I'm not sure you'd want to put everything required to resize the root
partition into the initrd.
I was thinking about doing it in the initrd to remove the reboot in
the process..

use fdisk to re-partition drive:
reboot
run resize2fs
Post by Charles Steinkuehler
What about something similar to /forcefsck where an init script runs and
checks for the presence of /resizerootfs or somesuch and then makes the
various required checks (that there is actually space available, the
filesystem is clean, the filesystem is a type that can be extende3d, etc).
adding /resizerootfs to the fat boot partition would be a good trigger
for the script..
Post by Charles Steinkuehler
Can any simplifying assumptions be made about things like the root
device, partition layout, etc?
with sfdisk we can easily dump/restore..

sfdisk -d /dev/mmcblk0 > part_table
sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 < part_table

For the default images i've been using:

sudo sfdisk --in-order --Linux --unit M /dev/mmcblk0 <<-__EOF__
1,96,0xE,*
,,,-
__EOF__

Could just cheat and always force that..
Post by Charles Steinkuehler
It would be nice if you could just have a 2G raw image (saves time
writing) and expand the filesystem on the first boot. How long does it
take to expand an ext4 filesystem, anyway? I use jfs on my x86 boxes
because you can expand the fs live while it's mounted (very handy for
virtual machines and systems with SAN back-ends, where I'm always
growing the storage!). Last I checked, resizing ext3 was a royal PITA
by comparison...I hope this is improved with ext4.
All play with ideas, as i've fixed most of the things on my bug list
and pushed that out as 2014.01.22..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Charles Steinkuehler
2014-01-23 15:35:02 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
All play with ideas, as i've fixed most of the things on my bug list
and pushed that out as 2014.01.22..
Let me know if you need help. I've done a lot of initrd hacking from my
Linux Router Project / LEAF days, and am comfortable playing with disk
partitions at a low level.
--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles-***@public.gmane.org
Robert Nelson
2014-01-23 19:04:01 UTC
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Charles Steinkuehler
Post by Robert Nelson
All play with ideas, as i've fixed most of the things on my bug list
and pushed that out as 2014.01.22..
Let me know if you need help. I've done a lot of initrd hacking from my
Linux Router Project / LEAF days, and am comfortable playing with disk
partitions at a low level.
Okay, I've cobbled together a few things to make it work.. (this using
the 2014-01-22 images as a base)

cd /opt/scripts/tools
git pull

# df -h | grep mmc
/dev/mmcblk0p2 3.5G 1.3G 2.1G 38% /
/dev/mmcblk0p1 96M 69M 27M 72% /boot/uboot
/dev/mmcblk1p2 1.7G 1.3G 351M 78% /media/rootfs
/dev/mmcblk1p1 96M 72M 25M 75% /media/boot

./grow_partition.sh
( https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/tools/grow_partition.sh
)

(ignore all errors)
reboot

(this is run by:
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L102
)

# cat /boot/uboot/debug/resize.log
resize2fs 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
Filesystem at /dev/mmcblk0p2 is mounted on /; on-line resizing required
old_desc_blocks = 1, new_desc_blocks = 1
The filesystem on /dev/mmcblk0p2 is now 1915648 blocks long.

# df -h | grep mmc
/dev/mmcblk0p2 7.2G 1.3G 5.6G 18% /
/dev/mmcblk0p1 96M 69M 27M 72% /boot/uboot
/dev/mmcblk1p2 1.7G 1.3G 351M 78% /media/rootfs
/dev/mmcblk1p1 96M 72M 25M 75% /media/boot

Details:
"/opt/scripts/tools" stuff gets populated by default:
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/blob/master/scripts/chroot.sh#L557

Issues:
64MB -> 96MB (for years we used a 64MB boot partition, but switched to
96MB recently)

Grow is hard-coded to 96M:
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/tools/grow_partition.sh#L60

A better option is to use sfdisk-'s -N2 option to only expand that..
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/tools/grow_partition.sh#L52

I couldn't get that to work..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-28 03:16:35 UTC
So, evidently you cannot log out / shutdown / or reboot from LXDE if there
is a ssh session open with super user active.....It fails with
"Authentication needed". Log out of the ssh session and LXDE has full
control again.....
(
Robert Nelson
2014-01-28 03:23:08 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
So, evidently you cannot log out / shutdown / or reboot from LXDE if there
is a ssh session open with super user active.....It fails with
"Authentication needed". Log out of the ssh session and LXDE has full
control again.....
Yeah, that is annoying. I have not found a working workaround for
that situation..

In a way it seems sane.. A normal user is not allowed to reboot a
machine when the root user is logged in over serial.

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Charles Steinkuehler
2014-01-28 06:07:14 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Post by Louis McCarthy
So, evidently you cannot log out / shutdown / or reboot from LXDE if there
is a ssh session open with super user active.....It fails with
"Authentication needed". Log out of the ssh session and LXDE has full
control again.....
Yeah, that is annoying. I have not found a working workaround for
that situation..
In a way it seems sane.. A normal user is not allowed to reboot a
machine when the root user is logged in over serial.
I had this issue with my MachineKit images until I switched to lightdm
instead of xdm. Lightdm is trusted by consolekit (no relation to
MachineKit! :) and thus allows things like rebooting and user mounting
of USB devices.

I was running xfce4, however, so lxde might be different.
--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles-***@public.gmane.org
Robert Nelson
2014-01-28 14:24:37 UTC
Post by Charles Steinkuehler
I had this issue with my MachineKit images until I switched to lightdm
instead of xdm. Lightdm is trusted by consolekit (no relation to
MachineKit! :) and thus allows things like rebooting and user mounting
of USB devices.
I was running xfce4, however, so lxde might be different.
Yeah, it's lxpanel that can't get the permissions.. We are using
lightdm/systemd underneath lxde..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
David Lambert
2014-01-10 23:25:05 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
It's Friday and everyone is probally kicking back and enjoying a cold
beverage... Well enough of that crap, time to start actually testing
something... ;)
http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases
OK I registered, but awaiting approval. In the meantime, I got the
following:

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
[ 0.369399] omap2_mbox_probe: platform not supported
[ 0.526579] tps65217-bl tps65217-bl: no platform data provided
[ 0.591595] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #0: No cape found
[ 0.628702] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #1: No cape found
[ 0.665810] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #2: No cape found
[ 0.702918] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #3: No cape found
[ 0.718940] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #6: BB-BONELT-HDMIN
conflict P8.45 (#5:BB-BONELT-HDMI)
[ 0.728585] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #6: Failed verification
[ 0.735360] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: loader: failed to load
slot-6 BB-BONELT-HDMIN:00A0 (prio 2)
[ 0.752808] omap_hsmmc mmc.5: of_parse_phandle_with_args of 'reset'
failed
[ 0.814570] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: pin 44e10854 already
requested by 44e10800.pinmux; cannot claim for gpio-leds.8
[ 0.826308] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: pin-21 (gpio-leds.8)
status -22
[ 0.833623] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: could not request pin 21
on device pinctrl-single

Don't know whether this is a bug or not, but I am also a bit confused as
I thought the capemgr was not yet in 3.13....?

Dave.
Robert Nelson
2014-01-10 23:37:44 UTC
Post by David Lambert
Post by Robert Nelson
[...]
That same error occurs on angstrom's 3.8.. HDMI no audio is trying to
load on top of hdmi with audio...

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
David Lambert
2014-01-11 13:40:01 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
It's Friday and everyone is probally kicking back and enjoying a cold
beverage... Well enough of that crap, time to start actually testing
something... ;)
http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases
Still not confirmed on the bug tracker, but I see this panic on halt:

***@beaglebone:~# halt

Broadcast message from ***@beaglebone (ttyO0) (Fri Jan 10 17:17:21 2014):
The system is going down for system halt NOW!
***@beaglebone:~# Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
Sending SIGKILL to remaining processes...
Unmounting file systems.
Unmounted /sys/fs/fuse/connections.
Unmounted /dev/mqueue.
Unmounted /sys/kernel/debug.
Unmounted /sys/kernel/security.
Disabling swaps.
Detaching loop devices.
Detaching DM devices.
[ 40.057138] (NULL device *): gadget not registered.
[ 40.072972] Power down.
[ 40.079180] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
exitcode=0x00000000
[ 40.079180]
[ 40.088830] [<c0013270>] (unwind_backtrace+0x0/0xe0) from
[<c0630514>] (panic+0x84/0x1e0)
[ 40.097438] [<c0630514>] (panic+0x84/0x1e0) from [<c0040364>]
(do_exit+0x470/0x88c)
[ 40.105501] [<c0040364>] (do_exit+0x470/0x88c) from [<c004ed30>]
(sys_reboot+0x128/0x1b4)
[ 40.114106] [<c004ed30>] (sys_reboot+0x128/0x1b4) from [<c000d580>]
(ret_fast_syscall+0x0/0x30)
[ 40.123242] drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text
console

Regards,

Dave.
Robert Nelson
2014-01-13 16:06:04 UTC
Post by David Lambert
Post by Robert Nelson
[...]
Just added this as:
http://bugs.elinux.org/issues/39

(i'm not sure how to approve people to the bug tracker either..)

I can confirm the issue on my board too..

However, since the board does actually shutdown. (5volt 0amps) I think
we'll just leave that bug. wonder if it exists in 3.13-rc8?

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Bas Laarhoven
2014-01-13 16:30:15 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Post by David Lambert
Post by Robert Nelson
[...]
FYI: I've been getting the same oops (other adresses, same symbols) with
Angstrom for ages.
Since it seems to shut down properly and doesn't cause any fs issues,
I've ignored it thus far.

-- Bas
David Lambert
2014-01-13 18:55:48 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Post by David Lambert
Post by Robert Nelson
[...]
Just tried a quick test on 3.13-rc8 - no panic, but no shutdown either!

Regards,
Post by Robert Nelson
Regards,
Robert Nelson
2014-01-13 19:17:49 UTC
Post by David Lambert
Just tried a quick test on 3.13-rc8 - no panic, but no shutdown either!
and no xorg...

been hacking on it all morning.. regression from v3.12.x

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Michael Long
2014-01-11 22:37:51 UTC
Is this beta specifically for the Beaglebones or should it work on the
Beagleboard xM? I tried the setup_sdcard.sh method, substituting "--uboot
beagle_xm", but the resulting card didn't get very far in the boot process.

-Michael
5cb3f88ae14cbcb94604786484f96309<http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-2gb.img.xz5cb3f88ae14cbcb94604786484f96309>
096915309ec4a8fe41b1e8076a0c436b<http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz096915309ec4a8fe41b1e8076a0c436b> bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-10-4gb.img.xz
526adb40799a8e060df020ed1cd47c12<http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-10/debian-7.3-console-armhf-2014-01-10.tar.xz526adb40799a8e060df020ed1cd47c12> debian-7.3-console-armhf-2014-01-10.tar.xz
Robert Nelson
2014-01-11 23:03:16 UTC
Post by Michael Long
Is this beta specifically for the Beaglebones or should it work on the
Beagleboard xM? I tried the setup_sdcard.sh method, substituting "--uboot
beagle_xm", but the resulting card didn't get very far in the boot process.
Just the BeagleBone... The 'script' supports many different boards,
however this image only contains the kernel for the BeagleBone..

The "xM" is already fully supported here:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#Demo_Image

This beta is specifically addressing:
http://beagleboard.org/blog/2014-01-04-happy-new-year/

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Walter Schilling
2014-01-13 03:55:49 UTC
Robert:

Downloaded this build and have started playing with it. So far so good.
That being said, I'm running into a slight issue. I've got a small issue
that I'm not sure how to fix with Debian. I'm using the LCD7 with the
black, and it is out of calibration. On the angstrom image, there was a
calibration tool I could run, but I'm not seeing on the Debian port. Am I
missing something obvious or just being clueless about how to do this with
Debian?
Robert Nelson
2014-01-13 15:00:51 UTC
Post by Walter Schilling
Downloaded this build and have started playing with it. So far so good.
That being said, I'm running into a slight issue. I've got a small issue
that I'm not sure how to fix with Debian. I'm using the LCD7 with the
black, and it is out of calibration. On the angstrom image, there was a
calibration tool I could run, but I'm not seeing on the Debian port. Am I
missing something obvious or just being clueless about how to do this with
Debian?
xinput
( http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xinput )

Is installed by default, i just don't have it setup yet to run when
the system detects an lcd..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-15 15:05:28 UTC
Thanks for all of your hard work Robert!

Not sure if this is really a "bug" or more of a optimization.

I downloaded and installed (via Win32 Disk Imager) the eMMC Flasher to a 4
Gb Kingston card. When I booted the new card on a BBB A5A, it loaded all
the way into the GUI, performed the rsync, and then the lights went solid.

My question is, is it necessary to boot the flasher all the way into the
GUI? It may shave a couple minutes off of the "flash" time by limiting the
run level.

Another interesting note, is that once the rsync is done and the lights all
go solid, the GUI is still responsive and usable. I guess I was assuming
that it would go to a halt state. Once again, not a problem, just a comment.

On to the live tests.....
Louis
Robert Nelson
2014-01-15 15:23:59 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
Thanks for all of your hard work Robert!
Not sure if this is really a "bug" or more of a optimization.
I downloaded and installed (via Win32 Disk Imager) the eMMC Flasher to a 4
Gb Kingston card. When I booted the new card on a BBB A5A, it loaded all the
way into the GUI, performed the rsync, and then the lights went solid.
My question is, is it necessary to boot the flasher all the way into the
GUI? It may shave a couple minutes off of the "flash" time by limiting the
run level.
Well, I guess we could get a little more creative with the image.
I've kept to really simple... Right now the only difference between
the dd/microSD image with the dd/flasher is one file in the boot
partition..

/boot/uboot/flash-eMMC.txt

https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/scripts_device/boot/am335x_evm.sh#L56

Otherwise the biggest cpu hog was actually the screensaver. (xorg/lxde
wasn't too resource intensive..)

Which i've now disabled by default:

https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/commit/6fe60d9a2f28d8f9f28747fd05f3cb0c96ef61ed

So when i push out new image this week, it should shave a few more
minutes.. (even without that change it's still not the 45 minutes it
took Angstrom.. ;) )
Post by Louis McCarthy
Another interesting note, is that once the rsync is done and the lights all
go solid, the GUI is still responsive and usable. I guess I was assuming
that it would go to a halt state. Once again, not a problem, just a comment.
Do we want it to "halt" ? I wish we could "eject" the microSD, as if
we halt, the user is just probably going to hit the power button and
the flash starts all over..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-15 16:13:09 UTC
I'm all for simple.

I wan't going to mention the screen saver, but now that you did, I think
that is a good call. The other option would be to extend the delay to 15
minutes, instead of disabling it entirely, but I would rather see it
disabled.

Yeah, no complaints from me compared to the Angstrom eMMC flasher :)

If nothing is being written to the uSD, then a halt is not necessary. I
would just go with whatever would be the most reliable/simple.

Louis
Robert Nelson
2014-01-15 16:19:19 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
I'm all for simple.
I wan't going to mention the screen saver, but now that you did, I think
that is a good call. The other option would be to extend the delay to 15
minutes, instead of disabling it entirely, but I would rather see it
disabled.
The screensaver was also causing an annoying 'flash' for me, as lxde
seems to fully loaded about 2 seconds before ntp would get the updated
time info. (thus turning on the screen saver..)
Post by Louis McCarthy
Yeah, no complaints from me compared to the Angstrom eMMC flasher :)
If nothing is being written to the uSD, then a halt is not necessary. I
would just go with whatever would be the most reliable/simple.
Yeah once the led flash full, we are 100% done with the eMMC, it's
fully synced/umounted/etc. Pretty much safe to just yank power and
pull out the microSD with no ill effects to the eMMC..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-15 16:22:24 UTC
I am awaiting approval in the bug tracker, but I saw your comment related
to Wicd/Connman. If I remember correctly, there were issues with multiple
connections (wired and wireless) and DHCP (only assigned an IP to the first
adapter) with connman. Not sure if those were resolved.

Louis
Robert Nelson
2014-01-15 16:32:42 UTC
I am awaiting approval in the bug tracker, but I saw your comment related to
Wicd/Connman. If I remember correctly, there were issues with multiple
connections (wired and wireless) and DHCP (only assigned an IP to the first
adapter) with connman. Not sure if those were resolved.
Yuck that's even worse.. I'd like to find something that'll work with
both networks..

Here's a version of connman i'm thinking of replacing wicd with:

http://rcn-ee.net/pkgs/connman/connman_1.15/connman_1.15-0ubuntu2_armhf.deb

another option is network-manager, but like some gtk apps it's
randomly locking.. (i might have a fix, just need to test it..)

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-15 16:53:14 UTC
I have wicd showing wireless networks now....

You need to go to the Preferences and enter "wlan0" into the Wireless
interface section of the "General Settings" tab.

I'm still testing, but it appears to connect to the internet.
Robert Nelson
2014-01-15 16:56:11 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
I have wicd showing wireless networks now....
You need to go to the Preferences and enter "wlan0" into the Wireless
interface section of the "General Settings" tab.
Yeah, i had tried that too today.. For some reason my Atheros adapter
is just acting up. I have a few dozen more at home i could test.
Post by Louis McCarthy
I'm still testing, but it appears to connect to the internet.
Cool, maybe we'll keep wicd.. It has all the fancy gui setting so end
users can easily configure it. Please let me know if any other issues
pop up..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-15 17:00:33 UTC
I forgot to mention, I am using a D-LINK DWA-121 [Realtek RTL8188CUS] using
the kernel rtl8192cu module. But I didn't have to do anything, manually, to
get the drivers/modules loaded.

I just did a 'ps -A' to check for wpa_supplicant and then used 'iwconfig'
to see if the wireless extensions were working, and that provided me with
the interface name to put into wicd.

Louis
Bill Traynor
2014-01-15 17:23:39 UTC
I am awaiting approval in the bug tracker, but I saw your comment related to
Wicd/Connman. If I remember correctly, there were issues with multiple
connections (wired and wireless) and DHCP (only assigned an IP to the first
adapter) with connman. Not sure if those were resolved.
Sorry about that, Louis. You should be active in the bug tracker now.
Louis
2014-01-15 17:53:53 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
It's Friday and everyone is probally kicking back and enjoying a cold
beverage... Well enough of that crap, time to start actually testing
something... ;)
Firstly, many thanks for your hard work here!

Now that the move to debian is official, I'm scrambling to move my custom
images over. With Angstrom, I had a custom .bb file that was based on the
ti-hw-bringup-image.bb script and added a few extra things.

With the new scripts, I'm looking to do a number of things:

1) Omit some packages, such as Cloud9, Node and Xorg as I don't need them
2) Add some of my own packages
3) Build a custom kernel (to include a .dts)
4) Customize the resulting rootfs (e.g. add users, systemd service scripts
etc)
5) Ultimately, automate this

Initially, I could just clone the script and edit the lines that set
bborg_pkg_list to omit what I don't want (#1) and include what I do #2. I
could add a further function to modify the root filesystem before it gets
zipped up (although I'm not sure how I create new users etc ...).

Is there some way of being able to extend the script in this manner without
having to change it so that it doesn't get clobbered when updating?

Thanks!

-W.
Robert Nelson
2014-01-15 18:05:33 UTC
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
Post by Robert Nelson
[...]
The easiest thing to do, is first just fork the repo, then:

cp beagleboard.org_image.sh custom_image.sh

Then edit the "chroot_script" line, so you can run your own chroot
customization script..

For example we are calling: ( chroot_script="beagleboard.org.sh" )
https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/beagleboard.org_image.sh#L342

dump your script here:
https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/tree/master/chroot_script

The main chroot script does set some sane defaults,

https://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder/blob/master/scripts/chroot.sh#L289

Just ping us if something is enabled by default that you need off..

Doing that other then just do a git pull everyonce in awhile to get updates..

git pull --no-edit git://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder.git master

If your project gets big, i have issues with adding it to the
readme.md list like I did with MachineKit then i just randomly pull
from those tree when they have updates..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
2014-01-16 17:10:35 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
[...]
Fantastic, thanks for this, I'm in the process of running my first build.

However, it occurs to me that perhaps I don't need to copy the
beagleboard.org_image.sh script ... it seems to write all of the things I
want to change to the .project file ... If I drop in my own version of
this, will the "stock" beagleboard.org_image.sh pick those up?

Couple of other questions:

1) I'm working out of master, should I be using the 01.10.2014 branch? I'm
happy to work on the bleeding edge, as long as I can load my capes .dts via
EEPROM
2) I need to load some "unstable" packages from sid, is there any way in
the script to do this? -- specifically, golang-go (2:1.2-2) for Go 1.2
3) I'm curious as to what is QEMU used for? I actually need it to cross
compile Erlang for the BBB, so I'd like to see how it's getting used.

Again, many thanks for your efforts!!!

-W.
Robert Nelson
2014-01-16 18:26:17 UTC
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
Fantastic, thanks for this, I'm in the process of running my first build.
However, it occurs to me that perhaps I don't need to copy the
beagleboard.org_image.sh script ... it seems to write all of the things I
want to change to the .project file ... If I drop in my own version of this,
will the "stock" beagleboard.org_image.sh pick those up?
Hey someone noticed the heart of the script.

Correct, just setup ".project" and run

/bin/sh ./RootStock-NG.sh
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
1) I'm working out of master, should I be using the 01.10.2014 branch? I'm
happy to work on the bleeding edge, as long as I can load my capes .dts via
EEPROM
Master is fine.. I only tag releases for ease of looking back...
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
2) I need to load some "unstable" packages from sid, is there any way in the
script to do this? -- specifically, golang-go (2:1.2-2) for Go 1.2
I haven't setup any apt-pinning yet, so in the script it's dangerous..
When i need something from sid, i just try to back port it first..

Follow:

https://wiki.debian.org/sbuild

(sid -> wheezy, amd64 -> armhf)

Make sure to set:

$build_arch_all = 1;
$build_source = 1;

Then just:
sbuild http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/golang/golang_1.2-2.dsc

hopefully you have enough memory/cpu for it to build.. (and wheezy has
the dependices, if it doesn't well it gets funner...)
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
3) I'm curious as to what is QEMU used for? I actually need it to cross
compile Erlang for the BBB, so I'd like to see how it's getting used.
So the script can run on an x86 machine.. Back when all the script did
was: debootstrap/dpkg/apt-get qemu worked well, howver anything like
"git clone xyz" qemu can fail.. So run it native, but in some cases
on x86 is fine..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
2014-01-16 19:41:48 UTC
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
Fantastic, thanks for this, I'm in the process of running my first build.
Success! ... I think. Don't seem to have working ethernet, here's the
console output:

[ 0.361322] omap2_mbox_probe: platform not supported
[ 0.528826] tps65217-bl tps65217-bl: no platform data provided
[ 0.593518] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #0: No cape found
[ 0.630626] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #1: No cape found
[ 0.667733] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #2: No cape found
[ 0.704842] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #3: No cape found
[ 0.720846] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #6: BB-BONELT-HDMIN
conflict P8.45 (#5:BB-BONELT-HDMI)
[ 0.730428] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: slot #6: Failed verification
[ 0.737160] bone-capemgr bone_capemgr.9: loader: failed to load slot-6
BB-BONELT-HDMIN:00A0 (prio 2)
[ 0.753514] omap_hsmmc mmc.5: of_parse_phandle_with_args of 'reset'
failed
[ 0.816446] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: pin 44e10854 already
requested by 44e10800.pinmux; cannot claim for gpio-leds.8
[ 0.828157] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: pin-21 (gpio-leds.8) status
-22
[ 0.835441] pinctrl-single 44e10800.pinmux: could not request pin 21 on
device pinctrl-single
Scanning for Btrfs filesystems
systemd-fsck[201]: rootfs: clean, 32162/111104 files, 140904/444160 blocks
[ 6.087883] libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
[ 6.092953] net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Robert Nelson
2014-01-16 20:01:17 UTC
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
[...]
Give it a few more seconds, currently "wicd" is under control of eth0
(not /etc/network/interfaces) on 3.8 it takes wicd about 2-3 calls
before it gets it..

The only reason i'm using wicd over /etc/network/interfaces is to
remove the 2 minute timeout if eth0 isn't connected...

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-16 21:49:01 UTC
Anyone else having trouble loading cape dtbo files at boot? I cannot get
cape manager to manually load/override/overlay either:
sudo echo ANY-CAPE > /sys/devices/bone-cape.9/slots
"Permission denied"

I've tried an A1 audio cape and a couple of capes that I built. I've tried
recompiling the dts sources. The dmesg logs (just one example) say "failed
to load firmware 'BB-BONE-AUDI-01-00A1.dtbo'", which I know exists in
/lib/firmware and has the same permissions as the other dtbo files.

Louis
Robert Nelson
2014-01-16 21:50:46 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
Anyone else having trouble loading cape dtbo files at boot? I cannot get
sudo echo ANY-CAPE > /sys/devices/bone-cape.9/slots
"Permission denied"
sudo sh -c "echo 'something' >> /etc/privilegedfile"
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-16 23:19:56 UTC
Thanks, that did help me troubleshoot. I also ran as root (sudo su) and was
getting error messages, but some of those errors were bogus. A quick check
with 'dmesg' showed that the command actually went through.

Manual loading now finds the dtbo files, but still no love on auto loading
capes at boot....looking into it some more.

Is it possible that the boot system is trying to find the files in the boot
image and not the eMMC root filesystem? I haven't had this much trouble
with capes before (on other distros).....

Louis
Robert Nelson
2014-01-16 23:23:03 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
Thanks, that did help me troubleshoot. I also ran as root (sudo su) and was
getting error messages, but some of those errors were bogus. A quick check
with 'dmesg' showed that the command actually went through.
Manual loading now finds the dtbo files, but still no love on auto loading
capes at boot....looking into it some more.
Is it possible that the boot system is trying to find the files in the boot
image and not the eMMC root filesystem? I haven't had this much trouble with
capes before (on other distros).....
in /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt did you enable it via:

optargs=capemgr.enable_partno=xzy

It's also got to be built-in..

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev/blob/am33x-v3.8/patches/defconfig#L1305

We had problems the past with loading dtbo's from /lib/firmware/

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
2014-01-17 02:02:53 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Give it a few more seconds, currently "wicd" is under control of eth0
(not /etc/network/interfaces) on 3.8 it takes wicd about 2-3 calls
before it gets it..
The only reason i'm using wicd over /etc/network/interfaces is to
remove the 2 minute timeout if eth0 isn't connected...
Ok, I had removed wicd-gtk. I replaced it with wicd-cli and the ethernet
is fine!

Couple of things I noticed:

1) Setting user_name in .project (or the main build script) gets
overwritten with 'debian'
2) No console getty respawn.
- I logged on to the console, ended up logging out (see #2), never got
a prompt back on the console (nothing in dmesg)
3) Terminal got screwed up.
- At somepoint during the boot (I removed systemd=quiet so I can see
what's going on), the terminal got screwed up and the formatting went
haywire:
openbsd-inetd[496]: Not starting internet superserver: no services enabled.
Started LSB: Start or stop the inetd daemon. [
OK ]
Started Provide limited super user privileges to specific users [
OK ]
Started LSB: Run /etc/rc.local if it exist [
OK ]

Started Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack [
OK ]

Started Login Service [
OK ]

Started WPA supplicant [
OK ]

boot_scripts.sh[492]: Thu Jan 16 17:02:00 UTC 2014
cron[510]: Starting periodic
command scheduler: cron.

- 'reset' and resetting the terminal locally didn't fix it
4) Fails to halt properly with /sbin/halt (kernel panic)
- If you do it via an ssh login, it just doesn't halt
- If you do it from the console, it does halt, but you get:
[ 146.037995] (NULL device *): gadget not registered.
[ 146.050219] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc.0.auto: remove, state 4
[ 146.055772] usb usb2: USB disconnect, device number 1
[ 146.061907] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc.0.auto: USB bus 2 deregistered
[ 146.068906] Disabling non-boot CPUs ...
[ 146.073001] Power down.
[ 146.075595] System will go to power_off state in approx. 2 secs
[ 146.083999] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
exitcode=0x00000000
[ 146.083999]
[ 146.093558] [<c0010443>] (unwind_backtrace+0x1/0x8a) from [<c0455b2d>]
(panic+0x51/0x148)
[ 146.102101] [<c0455b2d>] (panic+0x51/0x148) from [<c002f799>]
(do_exit+0x345/0x618)
[ 146.110107] [<c002f799>] (do_exit+0x345/0x618) from [<c0039279>]
(sys_reboot+0xcb/0x13e)
[ 146.118560] [<c0039279>] (sys_reboot+0xcb/0x13e) from [<c000c021>]
(ret_fast_syscall+0x1/0x46)
[ 146.127546] drm_kms_helper: panic occurred, switching back to text
console

But otherwise, great progress!

Thanks!

-W.
Robert Nelson
2014-01-17 02:33:13 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Give it a few more seconds, currently "wicd" is under control of eth0
(not /etc/network/interfaces) on 3.8 it takes wicd about 2-3 calls
before it gets it..
The only reason i'm using wicd over /etc/network/interfaces is to
remove the 2 minute timeout if eth0 isn't connected...
Ok, I had removed wicd-gtk. I replaced it with wicd-cli and the ethernet is
fine!
1) Setting user_name in .project (or the main build script) gets overwritten
with 'debian'
Yeah, for some reason it's not sourcing it from ".project" correctly
at the moment..
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/blob/master/chroot_script/beagleboard.org.sh#L14

Working on that..
2) No console getty respawn.
- I logged on to the console, ended up logging out (see #2), never got a
prompt back on the console (nothing in dmesg)
Is this with the main ttyO2 debug serial console or one of the video
console's tty0?
]
Started Provide limited super user privileges to specific users [ OK
]
Started LSB: Run /etc/rc.local if it exist [ OK
]
Started Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack [ OK
]
Started Login Service [ OK
]
Started WPA supplicant [ OK
]
boot_scripts.sh[492]: Thu Jan 16 17:02:00 UTC 2014
cron[510]: Starting periodic
command scheduler: cron.
- 'reset' and resetting the terminal locally didn't fix it
You need to re-size your serial terminal to fix this. systemd is also
a lot more noiser, hence the quiet..
[...]
The kernel panic with halt is known..
http://bugs.elinux.org/issues/39

The system still correctly shut's off just fine.. It also affects the
older angstrom 3.8 images..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
2014-01-17 06:16:08 UTC
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
with 'debian'
Yeah, for some reason it's not sourcing it from ".project" correctly
at the moment..
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/blob/master/chroot_script/beagleboard.org.sh#L14
Working on that..
Cool, thanks!
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
prompt back on the console (nothing in dmesg)
Is this with the main ttyO2 debug serial console or one of the video
console's tty0?
It was the serial console, ttyO2
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
3) Terminal got screwed up.
You need to re-size your serial terminal to fix this. systemd is also
a lot more noiser, hence the quiet..
Yeah, I don't think the resize is the issue. I have a Mac Terminal set at
80x55. I think it's some kind of stty mode that's changing. However,
retrying it a number of times, I have only seen it "screw up" the terminal
I/O a couple of times. Mostly it's ok.

I always disable the "quiet" mode, I find it disconcerting to not see
output when the system boots ... kind of Windows like.
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
4) Fails to halt properly with /sbin/halt (kernel panic)
The kernel panic with halt is known..
http://bugs.elinux.org/issues/39
The system still correctly shut's off just fine.. It also affects the
older angstrom 3.8 images..
I only had the one occasion when it failed to stop (that is the leds kept
flashing and I could log back in via ssh). Every other time it's halted
(with the panic).

Thanks!

-W.
2014-01-17 19:51:25 UTC
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
3) Build a custom kernel (to include a .dts)
Any thoughts on adding a custom .dts to the build script to be included in
the kernel?

I have some notes from someone else:

1. Copy the dts file to $KERNEL/firmware/capes
2. Add it to the build list in $KERNEL/firmware/Makefile

But it looks like it's downloading a pre-build kernel?

Thanks!

-W.
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-22 23:06:29 UTC
Wow, Robert, you have been busy today! I was going to comment on
xinput-calibrate, but you made a commit about 15 minutes before I did a
clone, then I was trying to deal with touchscreen jitter and saw your patch
of 3.8.13-bone37....thanks for your work. I will test those out as soon as
I can get them built :)

On the capemgr front......I am looking into ways to get the dtbo files
accessible at boot time.
Option 1) Get capemgr to find /lib/firmware on startup
Option 2) Put dtbo files into boot partition

What are your, and anyone else's, thoughts on this? I will start delving
deeper into the kernel source tomorrow, especially the capemgr sections.
But I am new to kernel patches and exactly how capemgr does its thing.

Louis
Robert Nelson
2014-01-23 00:38:23 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
Wow, Robert, you have been busy today! I was going to comment on
xinput-calibrate, but you made a commit about 15 minutes before I did a
clone, then I was trying to deal with touchscreen jitter and saw your patch
of 3.8.13-bone37....thanks for your work. I will test those out as soon as I
can get them built :)
Oh we got lucky on xinput-calibrate, i was starting to look up writing
lightdm scripts, when i just hooked up the one found in their repo and
rebooted.. It worked, so ship it. ;)
Post by Louis McCarthy
On the capemgr front......I am looking into ways to get the dtbo files
accessible at boot time.
Option 1) Get capemgr to find /lib/firmware on startup
Option 2) Put dtbo files into boot partition
Couples issues,

The *.dtbo's already compiled under /lib/firmware should work via the
uEnv.txt *_enable call..
The kernel .config, build firmware in kernel is enabled.
We are using an initrd. (helps hide the lack of rtc problem for rootfs
and allows us to us uuid's for the eMMC, aka allowing single/multi mmc
card combinations..)

So, any modifications to any of the existing /lib/firmware/*.dtbo file
will be ignored, as the kernel has it built-in.

Any additions to /lib/firmware/*.dtbo are ignored as they are too late
on boot (uEnv.txt *_enable call) and are not in the initrd.

So.. I "think" we can fix the problem, by making sure all *.dtbo's
(including new ones from users) are re-pulled into the initrd when
it's regenerated. Here's the current initrd.img update routine.

if [ ! -f /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r) ] ; then
update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)
else
update-initramfs -u -k $(uname -r)
fi
cp -v /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r) /boot/uboot/initrd.img

I'm guessing we just have to add the *.dtbo to one of the /etc/xyz
files that update-initramfs utilizes..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Walter Schilling
2014-01-23 01:18:44 UTC
Robert:

So far great work. It's overall working very well.

#1 I'm trying to use the camera cape with the board, and I get the
following error message when I try to read from it using openCV:
VIDIOC_REQBUFS: Cannot allocate memory. I believe this has something to do
with the dd for the camera, but I'm not sure if it is something that
requires mods to the dd or just a change in configuration.
#2 I'm assuming this is by design, but when i try to read from the camera
using gstreamer, I get a package not found error. It seems as if gstreamer
isn't in this package, yet I aloso run into problems when I try to do an
apt-get in that it can not be located. This may very well be by design and
I just haven't overcome the issues.

Thanks again for your hard work on this codebase.

Walt
Robert Nelson
2014-01-23 01:29:08 UTC
Post by Walter Schilling
So far great work. It's overall working very well.
Which camera cape? Is this the Radium or the 3.1MP cape? ( in only
have the 3.1MP )
#1 I'm trying to use the camera cape with the board, and I get the following
Cannot allocate memory. I believe this has something to do with the dd for
the camera, but I'm not sure if it is something that requires mods to the dd
or just a change in configuration.
Not really sure, I've gone so far as cat /dev/video0 on the 3.1 just
to make sure it works.. Has anyone else in the beagleboard group tried
opencv?
#2 I'm assuming this is by design, but when i try to read from the camera
using gstreamer, I get a package not found error. It seems as if gstreamer
isn't in this package, yet I aloso run into problems when I try to do an
apt-get in that it can not be located. This may very well be by design and
I just haven't overcome the issues.
Here's all the gstreamer options:
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gstreamer&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all

make sure to refresh via:

apt-get update ; apt-get install xyz

Let me know what you need to make it work..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Walter Schilling
2014-01-23 04:18:20 UTC
Well, there's good news and bad news. The good news, thanks to my own lack
of knowledge, I was using the wrong packages for gstreamer. Thus, it
wasn't finding them when I tried to install it. Alas, after installing
gstreamer, I was able to construct the pipeline with the following command:

gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0 num-buffers=1 ! videoscale !
video/x-raw-yuv, width=640,height=480 ! jpegenc ! filesink location=test.jpg

When I run this, I get the following error log:
***@beaglebone:~/boneCV# gst-launch v4l2src device=/dev/video0
num-buffers=1 ! videoscale ! video/x-raw-yuv, width=640,height=480 !
jpegenc ! filesink location=test.jpg
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL ...
WARNING: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src0: Could not
get parameters on device '/dev/video0'
Additional debug info:
v4l2src_calls.c(235): gst_v4l2src_set_capture ():
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src0:
system error: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Setting pipeline to PLAYING ...
New clock: GstSystemClock
Got EOS from element "pipeline0".
Execution ended after 140674416 ns.
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Setting pipeline to READY ...
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...
***@beaglebone:~/boneCV#

There is a test.jpg image created, but it is all black, as if the camera
image is not read.

This is being done with the 3.1 mp camera cape from circuitco.

It's possible that I've got something wrong in my gstreamer pipeline, as
I'm not an expert on it, but it does seem like there may be something with
the driver. I'm going to try the same exact procedure with a USB camera to
check my pipeline and go from there.

Thanks again for your help.

Walt
2014-01-23 02:39:24 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Post by Louis McCarthy
[...]
This would be good ... I have a custom .dts for a cape that I need to get
loaded at boot time (via the cape's EEPROM) without the 60s timeout for
rootfs.

Also, one of the items on my cape is RTC (ds1307 via i2c2) -- yes, it
actually has a battery too! Any thoughts on how to get it to be "used" by
the kernel? It is detected and shows up as /dev/rtc1, but if I try to
symlink /dev/rtc to /dev/rtc1, it gets reset at boot time and the kernel
ignores it ... eventually getting it's time from ntpdate (if network is
available).

Would be nice if there was a way to connect a battery to the onboard RTC!
John Syn
2014-01-23 17:46:11 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
The *.dtbo's already compiled under /lib/firmware should work via the
uEnv.txt *_enable call..
The kernel .config, build firmware in kernel is enabled.
We are using an initrd. (helps hide the lack of rtc problem for rootfs
and allows us to us uuid's for the eMMC, aka allowing single/multi mmc
card combinations..)
So, any modifications to any of the existing /lib/firmware/*.dtbo file
will be ignored, as the kernel has it built-in.
Any additions to /lib/firmware/*.dtbo are ignored as they are too late
on boot (uEnv.txt *_enable call) and are not in the initrd.
Hi Robert,

Doesn¹t this defeat the original purpose of DeviceTree? The idea that one
could change the I/O configuration without having to rebuild the kernel.
Also, I think this whole cape manager concept needs to be revisited. Since
it isn¹t possible to hot plug capes, why enable users to install and
remove dtbo files from the command line. I think all dtbo files should be
configured from the uEnv file and not built into the kernel. We can still
install and remove kernel modules from the command line, so development
won¹t be affected.

Regards,
John
Post by Robert Nelson
Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
unknown
2014-01-22 01:43:23 UTC
Got an image from http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-16/.

Boots up, runs fine with LCD7 cape......

Problem I see is that disk usage is grows at very fast rate. I run it from
SD card ( 4Gb image ), every reboot seems to bump roortf usage by 1%
Robert Nelson
2014-01-22 03:30:20 UTC
Post by unknown
Got an image from http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-16/.
Boots up, runs fine with LCD7 cape......
Problem I see is that disk usage is grows at very fast rate. I run it from
SD card ( 4Gb image ), every reboot seems to bump roortf usage by 1%
My first guess is something in /var/log/

It would be nice to track what's growing and if it just safely rolls's
over without taking too much extra space..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
unknown
2014-01-22 04:14:56 UTC
Yes,

those 3 seem to grow very fast:
kern.log
syslog
debug

I installed iotop and it was showing rsyslog running very often, writing
bunch of data to the card.

what is interesting is that after I shut down LXDE they don't seem to grow
much and rsyslod doesn't show up in iotop anymore..... I have no working
theory, except that I found this in kern.log:

Jan 16 18:56:39 beaglebone kernel: [ 1.076132] bone-capemgr
bone_capemgr.9: slot #5: BB-BONELT-HDMI conflict P8.45 (#1:BB-BONE-LCD7-01)
Jan 16 18:56:39 beaglebone kernel: [ 1.122583] bone-capemgr
bone_capemgr.9: slot #6: BB-BONELT-HDMIN conflict P8.45 (#1:BB-BONE-LCD7-01)

have no idea if this has anything to do with anything.....

To answer the second part of your question:
no, it doesn't roll's over safely..... I left the board powered overnight (
accidentally ) and it was at 100% rootfs usage this morning....
Robert Nelson
2014-01-22 05:39:49 UTC
Post by unknown
Yes,
kern.log
syslog
debug
I installed iotop and it was showing rsyslog running very often, writing
bunch of data to the card.
what is interesting is that after I shut down LXDE they don't seem to grow
much and rsyslod doesn't show up in iotop anymore..... I have no working
Jan 16 18:56:39 beaglebone kernel: [ 1.076132] bone-capemgr
bone_capemgr.9: slot #5: BB-BONELT-HDMI conflict P8.45 (#1:BB-BONE-LCD7-01)
Jan 16 18:56:39 beaglebone kernel: [ 1.122583] bone-capemgr
bone_capemgr.9: slot #6: BB-BONELT-HDMIN conflict P8.45 (#1:BB-BONE-LCD7-01)
have no idea if this has anything to do with anything.....
That's fine.. The hdmi (audio) and hdmi (no audio) got denied loading
as you have the lcd7 plugged in and that pin wasn't available.. (it's
an error condition, just not useful for obvious reasons. ;) ..)
Post by unknown
no, it doesn't roll's over safely..... I left the board powered overnight (
accidentally ) and it was at 100% rootfs usage this morning....
yeah, that's no good, can you dump:

ls -lh /var/log/

Then i'll fix that..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
unknown
2014-01-22 06:44:56 UTC
***@beaglebone:~$ ls -lh /var/log
total 76M
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jan 16 18:49 ConsoleKit
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15K Jan 16 18:49 Xorg.0.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27K Jan 16 19:45 alternatives.log
drwxr-x--- 2 root adm 4.0K Jan 16 18:49 apache2
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jan 16 18:49 apt
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 2.4K Jan 22 06:38 auth.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 60K Jan 16 18:48 bootstrap.log
-rw------- 1 root utmp 0 Jan 16 18:43 btmp
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 27K Jan 22 06:30 daemon.log
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 25M Jan 22 06:39 debug
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 27K Jan 16 18:49 dmesg
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 31 Jan 16 18:45 dmesg.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 456K Jan 22 06:34 dpkg.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24K Jan 16 19:12 faillog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 781 Jan 16 19:07 fontconfig.log
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jan 16 18:45 fsck
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 25M Jan 22 06:39 kern.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root utmp 286K Jan 22 06:31 lastlog
drwx--x--x 2 root root 4.0K Jan 16 18:49 lightdm
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 0 Jan 16 18:49 lpr.log
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 0 Jan 16 18:49 mail.err
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 0 Jan 16 18:49 mail.info
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 0 Jan 16 18:49 mail.log
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 0 Jan 16 18:49 mail.warn
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 35K Jan 16 18:50 messages
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jan 16 18:49 news
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 25M Jan 22 06:39 syslog
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 0 Jan 16 18:49 user.log
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jan 16 18:50 wicd
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root utmp 3.4K Jan 22 06:36 wtmp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 237 Jan 16 19:11 wvdialconf.log

debug grows by a meg every 30 seconds or so....

I also think I know where the problem is coming from: by looking at iotop
trace the rsyslog active only when USB cable is plugged in ( to PC )
Robert Nelson
2014-01-29 21:09:44 UTC
Lets keep this going, round 4...

First, for tracking please report all bugs to:
http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases

Fixes:
3.8.13-bone37 -> 3.8.13-bone39
* rs485 support from Micka
* dir-changeable propery for gpio-of-helper from Charles
* cape-bone-proto from me *(new default pinmux)

New Packages:
python-pip, python-setuptools, python2.7-dev

Fixes:
systemd: limit journal to 8Mb (should fix ever expandign /var/logs issues)
cape-bone-proto loaded on bootup by /etc/default/capemgr
chromium: 32.0.1700.76 -> 32.0.1700.102
nodejs: 0.10.24 -> 0.10.25
https://github.com/beagleboard/am335x_pru_package.git >
/opt/source/am335x_pru_package
multiarch: added /lib/ld-linux.so.3 (for those HelloWorld users with
the wrong gcc "armel" compiler..)
Adafruit_BBIO installed
default apache moved from port 80 to 8080 (bonescript.socket takes over port 80)
"grow_partition.sh" script for users of the microSD image..
* cd /opt/scripts/
* git pull
* ./tools/grow_partition.sh
* sudo reboot
* (after a few minutes, df -h should use the whole disk..)
bonescript-autorun.service enabled

LCD3/LCD4/LCD7 users, xinput_calibrator is installed by default..
Can you please compare 3.8.13-bone36 with 3.8.13-bone39 to test
Micka's touchcreen fix?

I've tried to make it very easy to test via:

cd /opt/scripts/tools
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --kernel v3.8.13-bone36
sudo rm /etc/pointercal.xinput
sudo reboot

cd /opt/scripts/tools
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --kernel v3.8.13-bone39
sudo rm /etc/pointercal.xinput
sudo reboot

So please compare and contrast bone36/bone39, as we really need
testing from users..

Camera people (3.1MP and RadiumBoards):
What userspace programs are we missing? gstreamer? OpenCV plugins?

I really want to include a default shell script that'll take a picture
and allow end users to validate the 3.1/Radium capes work.. (it'll be
installed under /opt/scripts/capes/) Or even some html5 bone101
voodoo and show the image in the browser window?

Questions? Should we switch to connman? (i'm still testing this too..)

To test:
apt-get remove wicd-* --purge
apt-get install connman
(no good gui with connman)

Does your "cape" work?

Does your wifi adapter work? Are we missing it's firmware?

So go forward and test the first "beta" release. There are 3 files on
the web server, depending on what you want to do. Using the same
standard procedure found here:
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:Updating_The_Software

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-29/

3cc218e9303c6823035585364e2de2c0
./BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-29-2gb.img.xz
d7e00474379a85edcf6385bc9584466c ./bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-29-2gb.img.xz
2d0c043b311cc31bd6286c4c2058b174 ./debian-7.3-lxde-armhf-2014-01-29.tar.xz

An eMMC "flasher" which can be installed to any 2GB or greater microSD
card. [BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-29-2gb.img.xz]

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-29/BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.3-2014-01-29-2gb.img.xz

It takes about 10-15 Minutes to dd microSD (2GB), 15 minutes to flash
eMMC (look for full 4 LED's)

2GB standalone image that can be flashed to any 2GB or greater.
[bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-29-2gb.img.xz]

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-29/bone-debian-7.3-2014-01-29-2gb.img.xz

It takes about 10-15 Minutes to dd microSD (2GB)

To resize once booted:
* cd /opt/scripts/
* git pull
* ./tools/grow_partition.sh
* sudo reboot

Finally one of my classic "setup_sdcard.sh".
[debian-7.3-lxde-armhf-2014-01-22.tar.xz]

http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-29/debian-7.3-lxde-armhf-2014-01-29.tar.xz

Note for users who use my classic "setup_sdcard.sh" script, here is
the magic options to get the beaglebone project files + systemd.

sudo ./setup_sdcard.sh --mmc /dev/sdX --uboot bone
--beagleboard.org-production --enable-systemd

To "rebuild"
git clone git://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder.git
cd image-builder
git checkout bb.org-v2014.01.29 -b tmp
touch release
./beagleboard.org_image.sh
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-29 21:39:55 UTC
Thanks Robert, I will check it out....

Did we get that GTK bug fixed? File dragging doesn't halt the system
anymore, on my bbb. Wondering if it something I did.....custom
3.8.13-bone37, 3 custom capes compiled in, and touchscreen driver mods.....

Louis
Lets keep this going, round 4...
Robert Nelson
2014-01-29 22:04:44 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
Thanks Robert, I will check it out....
Did we get that GTK bug fixed? File dragging doesn't halt the system
anymore, on my bbb. Wondering if it something I did.....custom
3.8.13-bone37, 3 custom capes compiled in, and touchscreen driver mods.....
Nope, still hard locks for me..

sudo apt-get install gpicview
lxde -> Accessories -> "Image Viewer" - "Open File" -> boot -> Docs ->
images -> beagle.png -> Open -> HARDLOCK...

Hopefully TI has an answer in our call tomorrow. ;)

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-29 22:34:02 UTC
Dude, mine is working!

Here are the changes that I remember:
Custom compiled 3.8.13-bone37 kernel, with no config changes
modified ti_am335x_tsc.c for BB-VIEW LCD7
added a 3 dts files to the firmware/capes folder
modified firmware/Makefile to add those cape drivers to the kernel
copied 3.8.13-bone37.zImage to /boot/uboot/zImage

apt-get install libqtgui4 qt4-demos gpicview

My guess is that libqt installed something to fix it...
Post by Louis McCarthy
Post by Louis McCarthy
Thanks Robert, I will check it out....
Did we get that GTK bug fixed? File dragging doesn't halt the system
anymore, on my bbb. Wondering if it something I did.....custom
3.8.13-bone37, 3 custom capes compiled in, and touchscreen driver
mods.....
Nope, still hard locks for me..
sudo apt-get install gpicview
lxde -> Accessories -> "Image Viewer" - "Open File" -> boot -> Docs ->
images -> beagle.png -> Open -> HARDLOCK...
Hopefully TI has an answer in our call tomorrow. ;)
Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
"If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people,
under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy." -
Thomas Jefferson
Robert Nelson
2014-01-29 23:23:21 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
Dude, mine is working!
Custom compiled 3.8.13-bone37 kernel, with no config changes
modified ti_am335x_tsc.c for BB-VIEW LCD7
added a 3 dts files to the firmware/capes folder
modified firmware/Makefile to add those cape drivers to the kernel
copied 3.8.13-bone37.zImage to /boot/uboot/zImage
apt-get install libqtgui4 qt4-demos gpicview
My guess is that libqt installed something to fix it...
Humm.. No such luck here.. What resolution are you running. I'm using
a monitor at 1280x1024.. It really feels like a graphics hardware
lockup..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-30 02:38:34 UTC
Darn , I was hoping I narrowed it down.... 800 x 480 is my resolution. Come
to think of it, I think the last lock ups were through HDMI, to a 1680 x
1050 monitor.
Post by Robert Nelson
Dude, mine is working!
Robert Nelson
2014-01-30 15:11:02 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
Darn , I was hoping I narrowed it down.... 800 x 480 is my resolution. Come
to think of it, I think the last lock ups were through HDMI, to a 1680 x
1050 monitor.
Nope there goes that theory, 480x272..

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Louis McCarthy
Louis McCarthy
2014-01-30 21:40:44 UTC
I found it! Switching from 16 bit video mode to 24 bit fixes GTK.

I added this to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

Section "Screen"

Identifier "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"

Monitor "Configured Monitor"

Device "Configured Video Device"

DefaultDepth 24

Robert Nelson
2014-01-30 22:31:47 UTC
Post by Louis McCarthy
I found it! Switching from 16 bit video mode to 24 bit fixes GTK.
I added this to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
Section "Screen"
Identifier "Builtin Default fbdev Screen 0"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24
EndSection
Nice find!! It's too bad the colors are psychedelic, so it's unusable..

sudo sed -i -e 's:16:24:g' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo reboot

But the core finally doesn't lock up!

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Robert Nelson

Louis McCarthy
2014-02-04 21:02:02 UTC
I'm still working on testing this image, but thought I would comment on a
couple things before they slipped my mind.

I've flashed the eMMC on A6 and A6A BBBs and have run the flasher image as
a live system by removing the flash-eMMC.txt file.

The BB-BONE-AUDI-01:00A1 cape does not have a driver compiled into the
kernel (A0 is there).
The LCD backlight frequency of 500000 is causing audible whine
(BB-VIEW4/LCD7/BB-VIEW7) when the brightness is less than 100%. I fixed
this by changing the frequency defined in the dts file (32768 works, but I
just chose that randomly). Which repository are these being pulled from? I
can fork that, make changes, and issue a pull request if that would help.

With the LCD7, I don't detect much, if any, of a change between the two
versions of touchscreen drivers. I am not saying that we should discard the
new version, but that the new version doesn't negatively affect the system.

My thoughts, with respect to networking, are to make it easy to get a
wireless connection up and running. Wicd is pretty good at that, but I
notice that every 8 to 20 minutes the wireless connection is dropped. That
could be the AP I am connected to, so I will continue to test with other
APs. I still need to test a couple more USB adapters too.

Another comment is the screen blanking. I noticed that the LCD7 goes white
instead of just blanking to black. Not a problem, just noticed the change.
But in trying to disable the power saving, I open the screen saver settings
and am greeted with a warning message that the XScreenSaver daemon isn't
running. This may give new users the impression that something is broken in
the image. Is there another place to disable the screen blanking timer?

Thanks,
Louis
Lets keep this going, round 4...
James Valleroy
2014-02-05 02:51:28 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
To "rebuild"
git clone git://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder.git
cd image-builder
git checkout bb.org-v2014.01.29 -b tmp
touch release
./beagleboard.org_image.sh
I attempted to rebuild the image (mainly for educational purposes) but
the build hangs when attempting to clone boot-scripts:

Log: (chroot) adding admin group to /etc/sudoers
Enter new UNIX password: Retype new UNIX password: passwd: password
updated successfully
Log: (chroot) Warning, qemu can fail here... (run on real armv7l
hardware for production images)
Log: (chroot): [git clone
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts /opt/scripts/ --depth 1
|| true]
Cloning into '/opt/scripts'...
remote: Counting objects: 32, done.

[stops here]

$ ps aux | grep git
root 29272 0.0 0.0 4136812 4788 pts/0 S+ 21:06 0:00
/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /usr/bin/git clone
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts /opt/scripts/ --depth 1
root 29273 0.2 0.0 4203256 13480 pts/0 S+ 21:06 0:02
/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /usr/lib/git-core/git-remote-https origin
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts
root 29275 0.0 0.0 4203228 5380 pts/0 S+ 21:06 0:00
/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /usr/lib/git-core/git fetch-pack
--stateless-rpc --stdin --lock-pack --include-tag --thin --depth=1
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/
root 29278 0.0 0.0 4137840 3792 pts/0 S+ 21:06 0:00
/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /usr/lib/git-core/git fetch-pack
--stateless-rpc --stdin --lock-pack --include-tag --thin --depth=1
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/
jvaller+ 32164 0.0 0.0 10288 880 pts/1 S+ 21:28 0:00 grep git

If I git clone the boot-scripts repository outside of this script, I
have no issues. It only hangs when run from the
beagleboard.org_image.sh script. This is on 64-bit Debian "jessie".
Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Robert Nelson
2014-02-05 14:34:09 UTC
Post by James Valleroy
Post by Robert Nelson
To "rebuild"
git clone git://github.com/beagleboard/image-builder.git
cd image-builder
git checkout bb.org-v2014.01.29 -b tmp
touch release
./beagleboard.org_image.sh
I attempted to rebuild the image (mainly for educational purposes) but
Log: (chroot) adding admin group to /etc/sudoers
Enter new UNIX password: Retype new UNIX password: passwd: password
updated successfully
Log: (chroot) Warning, qemu can fail here... (run on real armv7l
hardware for production images)
Log: (chroot): [git clone
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts /opt/scripts/ --depth 1
|| true]
Cloning into '/opt/scripts'...
remote: Counting objects: 32, done.
[stops here]
$ ps aux | grep git
root 29272 0.0 0.0 4136812 4788 pts/0 S+ 21:06 0:00
/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /usr/bin/git clone
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts /opt/scripts/ --depth 1
root 29273 0.2 0.0 4203256 13480 pts/0 S+ 21:06 0:02
/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /usr/lib/git-core/git-remote-https origin
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts
root 29275 0.0 0.0 4203228 5380 pts/0 S+ 21:06 0:00
/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /usr/lib/git-core/git fetch-pack
--stateless-rpc --stdin --lock-pack --include-tag --thin --depth=1
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/
root 29278 0.0 0.0 4137840 3792 pts/0 S+ 21:06 0:00
/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /usr/lib/git-core/git fetch-pack
--stateless-rpc --stdin --lock-pack --include-tag --thin --depth=1
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/
jvaller+ 32164 0.0 0.0 10288 880 pts/1 S+ 21:28 0:00 grep git
If I git clone the boot-scripts repository outside of this script, I
have no issues. It only hangs when run from the
beagleboard.org_image.sh script. This is on 64-bit Debian "jessie".
Any ideas on what might be causing this?
It boils down to... qemu is bitrotten and just plain sucks... At one
time it worked really great. (okay that's a lie, but it worked..)

See the note right before the git clone.. ;)

2014-02-11 02:59:04 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Micka's touchcreen fix?
cd /opt/scripts/tools
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --kernel v3.8.13-bone36
sudo rm /etc/pointercal.xinput
sudo reboot
cd /opt/scripts/tools
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --kernel v3.8.13-bone39
sudo rm /etc/pointercal.xinput
sudo reboot
So please compare and contrast bone36/bone39, as we really need
testing from users..
Found this thread via google search, so I am probably missing something.
But I can't run these commands because I don't know the root password.

I can say that on boot with my LCD7, there is really no difference with the
Angstrom version. When the calibrate routine comes up at boot, I can click
the first target with finger or stylus, but when the second comes up, the
only way it will click is if I touch about half an inch to the left. Only
once have I managed to click the third target. Usually I get a misclick
message and it starts over. If I let it time out, it moves on. If I then
touch the screen, the mouse pointer starts shaking.

I do have a mouse connected, and eventually this build gives me mouse
control back, which is better than the Angstrom build where I had to press
reset to get it to stop.

This is my first week with this board, and while I'm a long time Linux
user, and long time software developer, I am a brand new Linux software
developer, so I'm still in the steep portion of the learning curve. I'm
following Malloy's guides mostly, in a VirtualBox VM so I can move my dev
image around between work and home.
Post by Robert Nelson
Does your wifi adapter work? Are we missing it's firmware?
Wicd finds my network via my USB wifi adapter. RaLink RT3572. I can
connect, then load chromium and surf the net just fine.

I'm a little hesitant to try connman. If it isn't broke, don't fix it...

Post by Robert Nelson
[debian-7.3-lxde-armhf-2014-01-22.tar.xz]
Is there a place I can learn more about this?

My eventual goal is to strip this down to a non X system running QT
embedded apps on the framebuffer for an embedded kiosk style system. Most
of my peripherals are either USB or serial, so my "cape" will be more like
a USB hub than anything else, combining LCD interface and power supplies
with the hub electronics and USB to serial chips all on the same board.
Around four discrete GPIO inputs and a 4x4 matrix keyboard are about it
for other I/O, so I don't anticipate this being terribly difficult. I'm
hoping that the USB serial ports will always come up in the same
/dev/ttyXXX locations (may have to learn udev for that) but that shouldn't
be much different than desktop linux. I really don't see the need for X
and a full desktop for this. Wired Ethernet and WLAN (USB) 3G cell modem
support will be needed, but not WiFi (using that now just because there is
no cable to my kitchen table).

Jeff.
Robert Nelson
2014-02-11 14:35:48 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Micka's touchcreen fix?
cd /opt/scripts/tools
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --kernel v3.8.13-bone36
sudo rm /etc/pointercal.xinput
sudo reboot
cd /opt/scripts/tools
sudo ./update_kernel.sh --kernel v3.8.13-bone39
sudo rm /etc/pointercal.xinput
sudo reboot
So please compare and contrast bone36/bone39, as we really need
testing from users..
First, there is a newer release of this test image posted here:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/beagleboard/D1ioNrzzXfQ/LdfJ2ccuiY4J
Post by Robert Nelson
Found this thread via google search, so I am probably missing something.
But I can't run these commands because I don't know the root password.
The root password is blank, the default user's "debian" password is
"temppwd" this should be detailed on the serial prompt login.
Post by Robert Nelson
I can say that on boot with my LCD7, there is really no difference with
the Angstrom version. When the calibrate routine comes up at boot, I can
click the first target with finger or stylus, but when the second comes up,
the only way it will click is if I touch about half an inch to the left.
Only once have I managed to click the third target. Usually I get a
misclick message and it starts over. If I let it time out, it moves on.
If I then touch the screen, the mouse pointer starts shaking.
Please retry with last week's image, there was a few xinput fixes pulled
in..
Post by Robert Nelson
[debian-7.3-lxde-armhf-2014-01-22.tar.xz]
Is there a place I can learn more about this?
./setup_sdcard.sh --help

More docs here:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#Debian_Stable_.28wheezy.29
2014-02-12 01:10:43 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
The root password is blank, the default user's "debian" password is
"temppwd" this should be detailed on the serial prompt login.
For some reason, when I tried that on the terminal (via keyboard on the
board itself) it kept asking for password, but I tried via SSH and it
worked.
Post by Robert Nelson
Please retry with last week's image, there was a few xinput fixes pulled
in..
Will try this tomorrow. We're likely to have a snow day tomorrow and I'll
be at loose ends at home.
Post by Robert Nelson
Is there a place I can learn more about this?
./setup_sdcard.sh --help
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#Debian_Stable_.28wheezy.29
Will also give this a go tomorrow as well.

Jeff.
Jason Kridner
2014-02-22 04:33:54 UTC
Post by Robert Nelson
Lets keep this going, round 4...
http://bugs.elinux.org/projects/debian-image-releases
3.8.13-bone37 -> 3.8.13-bone39
* rs485 support from Micka
* dir-changeable propery for gpio-of-helper from Charles
* cape-bone-proto from me *(new default pinmux)
python-pip, python-setuptools, python2.7-dev
systemd: limit journal to 8Mb (should fix ever expandign /var/logs issues)
cape-bone-proto loaded on bootup by /etc/default/capemgr
I have to say, I don't like this on by default. It drove my robot crazy!
Driving pins without detection seems like an overall BAD(tm) idea.
Micka
2014-02-25 13:47:31 UTC
Hi,

I'm using the image
http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-29/debian-7.3-lxde-armhf-2014-01-29.tar.xz
because
I needed the x server already installed .

But I can't find how to disable lxde from starting .... anyone know ?
Post by Jason Kridner
Lets keep this going, round 4...
Robert Nelson
2014-02-25 13:50:18 UTC
Post by Micka
Hi,
I'm using the image
http://rcn-ee.net/deb/testing/2014-01-29/debian-7.3-lxde-armhf-2014-01-29.tar.xz
because I needed the x server already installed .
But I can't find how to disable lxde from starting .... anyone know ?
I told lightdm to autostart lxde

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/blob/master/target/chroot/beagleboard.org.sh#L108

so change it

Regards,
--
Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/
Micka
2014-02-25 13:59:37 UTC
Ok thx, I figured out how to disable lightdm :

sudo update-rc.d lightdm disable

thx,
Post by Robert Nelson
Post by Micka